Thursday, August 22, 2013

Always Five O'Clock Bar Clock


It's always Five O'Clock somewhere. With this clock, it's
wherever you are.


I wanted to make something for our friends to thank them for some things they had helped us out with (mostly car issues). They have a nice bar area in their home, so I decided on a clock. I decided that it would be funny to have only fives for the numbers.

I didn't want to by 12 clock kits to get enough numbers, so I hit the local craft stores. To my disappointment they didn't have pre-made numbers of a suitable size. The internet came to the rescue and I ordered the numbers and a wine glass cut out. I was able to pick up a clock movement kit and some longer hands than came with the kit. I also picked up a 12 x 12 piece of 1/4 inch plywood.

I started by cutting some miters in some 1 x 3 red oak and cutting a 1/4 inch dado on the inside of each. Here is where I realized I had actually picked up 1/8 inch plywood. Back to the store...

I cut the plywood to fit. Then I stained the frame, keeping stain off inside of the miters and the dadoes. I painted the numbers and affixed them to the plywood. Glued the frame together and added the clock movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment